May 10, 2013

Life

I don't have a post prepared because I've been pretty busy the last couple of days, so I thought I would write a little bit on how my life is currently.

My graduation cap that I made last minute
I graduated from college in December, 2012.  It was very exciting and so relieved to be finished, even if it ended up being on a rainy and gloomy day.  I, like many other of my fellow jobless graduates, accepted that I had to move back home.  It was a struggle at first.  After having spent so much time getting a degree all the while living on my own, I was disappointed with myself.  The depression and disappointment of not being able to find a job still continues. Additionally, having most of my friends living 400 miles away is something that I've been struggling with.  I went from having loads of friends I could see whenever I want, to barely any.

As sad as this sounds, the boredom and depression of my life as a post-grad is why I started this blog.  I needed something to do while waiting between job applications.  Being able to put time into something and see the progress has really brightened my mood.

Recently, I changed my personal short-term goals.  When I moved back home around Christmas of 2012, I told myself that I would move out by next Christmas.  I've had to re-evaluate that date, and I've become much more flexible. I am extraordinarily grateful to my parents for giving me somewhere to sleep at night while I go through my quarter-life crisis.

I have also decided that while searching and applying to full-time jobs, I am going to try to get a part-time job (I need money!) and I am going to start volunteering in subjects related to the field I'm going in.  This Wednesday, I returned to the Raptor Center where I have volunteered/interned the last two summers.  It was such a relief to wake up in the morning, get up, and actually go somewhere and do something that was important.  Plus there were adorable animals, like this baby kestrel that came in:



Yesterday, I volunteered at a nearby Navy base and began my training to assist surveying and monitoring Snowy Plover and Least Tern nests and populations.  Both are endangered species of shorebirds, and are extremely adorable.  Can you tell I like birds??

Least Tern and chick. So cute!
 (photo credit: USFWS)

It feels so good to be busy again!

No comments:

Post a Comment