Jun 4, 2013

Butterick 5748

This morning, I finished a really cute pattern by Butterick that is a reprint of a simple dress from 1960.  It's a very classic dress featuring darts around the bust and in the back with a circle skirt.  


The pattern was very simple.  For the version I made (the one without the bows) I only had to cut out five pieces.  I altered the pattern a tiny bit by raising the hem 6.5", taking up the shoulders by about an inch, and adding a facing instead of lining.  

Here's the front!
Here's the back
 (I could not get my camera to take a non-blurry photo.  GRRR!)
The fabric I used was a very thick floral sheet that I found at the thrift store for really cheap.  I love sewing with old sheets!  I thought having a lining would be a little pointless and bulky, so I made a facing.  I finished the edges on the inside with some vintage bias tape that I had lying around that was the perfect color.  I love when things work out :)

Facing on the inside. Whohoo!
I'm pretty pleased with how it turned out.  Since I didn't make a muslin (seriously, how many people do? Do you?), there are some things I discovered that I would change.  Next time I make this pattern, I will take in the darts a little more and lower the neckline in the front and back.  

All in all, this pattern was super simple and ended up looking pretty cute.  I definitely recommend it!

A blurry, but happy seamstress 
Thanks for reading and happy sewing <3

4 comments:

  1. So cute! What a lovely little dress. Love the print on the fabric too :)

    Alex from www.polkadottedpixels.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! It was fun to make :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. how much did you cut away from the hem?

    ReplyDelete