Jun 27, 2013

DIY: Sherlock Sillouettes

This is a little craft project I made as a graduation gift for one of my best friends.  Her and I are kind of really addicted to BBC's show Sherlock.  If you haven't seen it, you really, really should.  This show's plot, characters, filming, everything is amazing.  Trust me on this one!


So these are what I made!  On the right is Watson, and on the left is Sherlock.  I'm pretty proud of them!

Anyways, if you want to make this project, these are what you will need:



  • Black and White Acrylic Paint (I ended up buying the whole set)
  • Wooden Oval Frame Thingies (I bought these at Michaels, they were super cheap!)
  • Sandpaper
  • Paintbrushes
  • Metal things you add so you can hang them (I don't know if there's a technical term...)
  • Rub-on gold paste
  • Newspaper to keep you work surface clean
My first plan was to make digital silhouettes, print them out, and put them in oval frames.  I just feel like silhouettes belong in oval frames.  I guess to me it just makes it feel more old-timey.  But when I went to Michaels and they had none!  I stopped in the wood section to look for unfinished frames, when I found these oval wood pieces and I realized I could just paint them.  I'm actually happy I made them this way, because hand-made gifts are even more special.

So the first thing I did was sand the wood pieces because they're kind of uneven and have little bits of wood hanging off them. Then I painted a base coat of white.  Next I used the rub-on gold paste around the edges to make it look like it was framed.  This was a little bit messy and got on the white part, but it was easily fixed by a little bit more paint.

To transfer the images onto the wood (I was NOT going to try to freehand those, lol), I found silhouette images online, put tracing paper over my screen and traced it.  Next, I sandwiched carbon paper between the wood and the traced silhouettes and went over the outlines again.  That gave me a pretty nice image to fill in.  The hardest part was definitely filling in the outline.  I messed up quite a few times, especially on their noses, but that was easily fixed by going over it with white paint. 

After I filled in the images, I decided I wanted to give the frame more detail, so I went over the groove that ran around the wood piece with some black paint.  This was kind of tedious, but I really like the detail that it gave it.

Overall I'm very happy with them!  I think I'll go watch some Sherlock now...

Thanks for reading!


1 comment:

  1. Love this! I did something similar for a friend but with sugar skulls!

    Alex from www.polkadottedpixels.com

    ReplyDelete