Jul 27, 2013

Leibster Award

EDIT: Forgot to add links to the blogs that I nominated, oops!

A few days ago, I was nominated for the Leibster Award by Alex at Polka Dotted Pixels.  If you're like me, you've seen this award floating around the blogosphere and have probably wondered what it is and where it came from. Basically, it is an award that is passed along by bloggers with less than 200 followers (learn about the origins here).  You answer the questions posted by the person nominating you, nominate your own favorite small blogs, and post questions for them to answer.  It's a very simple way to discover new blogs, and it definitely made me feel special being nominated :)

1) What do you love about blogging?
I love being able to share what I create and discover with people online who have the same passions as me.  I also love being able to see the progress I've made.  Even though my blog is still really tiny, every comment and follower I get makes me extremely happy.  I also love discovering new blogs to read.

2) What is your favorite band/musician?
This is hard for me because I like so many genres of music and it changes a lot, but the band that I have loved consistently over the years is The Decemberists.  I heard them live a couple of years ago, and it was absolutely amazing.

3) If you could have dinner with anyone (dead or alive) who would it be?
I would definitely choose Rachel Carson.  She was a marine biologist and the author of Silent Spring, the book that helped prompt the environmental movement in the 1960's.  As a female environmental scientist, she is my biggest role model.

4) Do you like collecting? If so, what do you collect?
Fabric and sewing supplies.  It's a problem.  Most of it is given to me by my grandmother and her friends in her quilting group.  Basically, I have a really hard time saying no to pretty fabric, especially when it's free.

5) If you could have lived during any other time period, which would you choose and why?
Up until recently, I would have said the 1950s, hands down.  But then after watching Mad Men, I talked with my grandmother about being a women in the 50s, and I wouldn't want to live in any other time than now.  She was always treated as an extension of my grandfather.  In newspapers, she was addressed by "Mrs. her-husband's-name", she wasn't allowed to get her own credit cards, and her salary didn't even count when they were applying for loans.  Basically, the  1950's would have been pretty amazing for a white male, and I'm a sucker for equality. Plus the science and technology developing around us right now is absolutely mind-boggling and I wouldn't give it up.


Now, I'm pretty sure that many of the small blogs I follow have already received the Leibster Award, but I'm going to do my best to nominate those that have. I nominate:


1) Monica at Mon Makes Things
2) Jen and Elena at Tea for Two
3) Marrie at Purls and Pleats


My questions for you are:

1)  If you were stuck on island and could only bring three celebrities, who would you want to hang out with for the rest of your life?

2) What's the weirdest thing you've ever eaten?

3)  If you could ask one question and learn the true answer, what would you ask?

4)  If you're house were burning down, what three items would you try to save?

5)  What is one of you favorite places you've ever been?

If you happen to be reading this and have any small blogs to recommend, please let me know in a comment! I <3 small blogs.
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment