Aug 15, 2013

Lately (Life and Crafts)

I cannot believe it is halfway through August already!  I know I've been slacking on the blog recently, but my volunteer position at the Navy base got really busy because we moved on from doing bird monitoring to restoration work. I had a few 12 hour days, but it was so worth it.  I surveyed streams, snails, vegetation, and fish.  I also got to help complete the California Rapid Assessment Method for wetlands, which will hopefully look very appealing on my resume.  Fingers crossed!

I've also been doing a little bit of crafting with a CNC mill, which is basically a computer-controlled rotary cutter attached to a cutting surface.  It's capable of cutting and etching almost any material, but I've been using it to cut out pieces of wood.  I can take any design or make my own and the mill will cut it out.  It took a bit of learning (and my boyfriend's patience), but I am finally able to use the mill completely on my own. If anyone has any interest in the process, I would be more than happy to write a post about it.


My boyfriend also built his own 3D printer, and he printed me out a companion cube (from Portal), which I then painted.



I also used polymer clay for the first time, and made a little kite to put on a necklace. It's not very good, but I think it's still pretty cute.


I'll hopefully have more projects for you all soon.  Hope you're all having a grea week!
post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment