Feb 28, 2014

Los Angeles Garment District

Recently, my mother and I made a trip down to LA to go shopping in the garment district. Even though it was rainy and a little overwhelming, it was a lot of fun and we found a bunch of really awesome stuff. It was a little difficult figuring out where we wanted to go to and where to park and eat, so I thought I would post what I bought along with recommendation for different stores.

STORES:

Bead Factory
810 Maple Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90014






This store was amazing. It's giant and jammed pack full of beads and jewelry findings, and the best part is that most things are $1.50. Everything I bought was less than $20.

Berger Beads

413 E 8th St, Los Angeles, CA 90014



I am obsessed with this store. When you first walk in it doesn't seem like much, but once you start looking at the vintage stock they have lining the walls, you'll change your mind. They had so many vintage cabochons and jewels that I didn't have enough time to look at everything before we had to leave. The prices were also very fair.

Michael Levine
920 Maple Ave, Los Angeles, CA 90015




From what I can tell, this is one of the most popular fabric stores in the area. It's very large and they have loads of gorgeous fabric. They even have Liberty London prints in display cases.  While their prices are pretty average ($10-12 a yard for most printed cotton), their selection will make you want to cry out of joy.

PARKING:

We parked in a parking lot on Maple Avenue between 9th and 8th. From what I remember, it was around $6 to park for the day during the week. It was super convenient to park there because it's literally across the street from the shops we wanted to go to.

RESTROOMS:

Restrooms were kind of tricky to find in this area. One of the options is to walk a block or two to a Starbucks or McDonald's and buy something small to use their restrooms. There is also a bathroom below the parking garage on Maple between 9th and 8th, which was definitely an interesting experience. I'd never been asked to pay to use a restroom in the United States before, but a woman outside of the bathroom stood by a sign that said "$.50 a flush." It seemed super sketchy to me at first and smelled a lot like pot, but the bathrooms were very clean.


I hoped this helped anyone who is interested in making a trip to the LA Garment district!

post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment